Volunteer Committee Chair- MS Walk 2020
Date posted: 10/3/2019
Closing date: 1/31/2022
Number of positions: 1
Description / duties:
This is a fantastic opportunity for those natural-born leaders among us. This position is ideally suited to someone with previous supervisory experience who is looking to give back to their community. This person should be willing to work with a committee of 6-12 members, and can anticipate a rewarding experience! Volunteering as Committee Chair for the MS Walk means gaining valuable experience by leading and organizing a well-recognized signature event ,while working with experienced staff and comprehensive resources.
Contributing your time and talents to the MS Walk committee is a meaningful opportunity to give back to your community and those affected by MS. MS Walks are our largest fundraising event across Canada, and you have the chance to be a part of making sure our participants’ MS Walk is extra special!
• Leading the MS Walk Committee
• Providing support and leadership to committee members
• Filling gaps as needed
• Delegating duties and ensuring assigned projects are completed successfully.
• Lead committee meetings.
• Acting as the point person for community walk
• Networking and recruiting committee members as needed
• Strong leadership abilities and experience. Must be comfortable making decisions with limited supervision.
• ideally 1-3 years of previous experience in fundraising and/or event coordination.
• Strong organization, problem solving and communication skills (verbal and written).
• Knowledge of MS and the ability to positively represent the MS Society.
• Positive attitude and friendly demeanour
• Experience of managing people (valued but not essential)
• Basic computer proficiency
• Self-motivated and reliable; able to fulfill duties on time
• Passion for funding MS research and supporting the MS Community
• Long term (November – May)
• This role will take an estimated 10 - 20 hours per month. Hours are based on event size, as well as engagement level of committee members
• Hours will increase as the event approaches.
• Mandatory training/orientation in November, as well as monthly support calls leading up to the event.
• Lead monthly committee meetings; timing of meetings to be determined by you.
• Direct the weekend of event duties.
How We will Support You:
• Comprehensive, role-specific training- full day training session and monthly support calls.
• Personal support from your Volunteer Engagement Coordinator and Walk Coordinator
• Access to our Committee Resource Centre with tools and information on all aspects of the event
• Professional references, proof of hours worked, skill development
• Committee Handbook
• The MS Society Walk Team will provide support to the event in a variety of ways including participant services, marketing, PR, and fundraising incentives.
Why Volunteer with Us?
• Join a society that cares about its volunteers
• Build your resume/valuable work experience
• Leadership/Supervisory skill development
• Meet new people in your community
• Support MS research and services
• We have fun!
1-3 years experience in fundraising and/or event coordination
1-3 years experience in Leadership/Supervisory roles
Positive attitude, desire to work within a team
Basic computer proficiency
Ability to follow through with committments
MS Society of Canada
207-444 Victoria Street, Kamloops, BC
Legal Disclaimer: With the exception of on-campus College of the Rockies student positions, these postings come from external employers and the College is not responsible for the accuracy of postings, for employer hiring procedures, or for ANY changes (including dates) made after the initial posting.